Properties of peach peel
The peach is a sumptuous fruit with hidden virtues: its rich and sweet taste frames a treasure of vitamins and mineral salts that purify, invigorate and protect the whole organism. The peach’s goodness lies also in its low calorie count. Despite its intense sweetness, this fruit is low in calories: you can take another bite and benefit from all its nutrients. The peach’s most important nutritional benefits are in its peel. This thin velvety or smooth layer contains important: antioxidants and anti-inflammatory and digestive properties.
Peach: Nutritional values
The peach is available in many varieties that are distinct in their shape and pulp colour. The yellow peach is the juiciest and most suitable for jams; the white is ideal for fruit salads and ice creams. The properties of the peach are common to all varieties: peaches are composed of over 80% water and can quench thirst and prevent skin dehydration. The remaining 20% of the fruit is divided between carbohydrates, fibre, vitamins and mineral salts (calcium, potassium, magnesium, fluorine, iron and zinc). The complex sugars in peaches do not affect diets because they have a low glycemic index that is they do not raise blood sugar levels. Moreover, the fibre in peaches increases the sense of satiety. It is therefore not true that peaches are fattening: on the contrary, they facilitate weight control. Micronutrients are mostly contained in the peel, which can be eaten along with the pulp if it has been washed well or, better still, is untreated and not contaminated by chemicals.
Properties of the peach: a taste of wellness
Eastern tradition associates the peach with prosperity and well-being: in Japan, it is considered to have protective properties; in China, its place of origin, it represents longevity scientific studies confirm the validity of these ideas: the peach’s vitamins A and C stimulate melanin, limiting damage from ultraviolet rays. The vitamins also strengthen the immune system and contribute to the health of bones, teeth and skin.
The peach also has positive effects on hypertension and on cholesterol and triglyceride levels. Its cleansing from toxins transcends nutrition, such that peach extracts are also used in cosmetic products. Peach peel also contains polyphenols, which have proven antitumor properties: they counteract free radicals, the molecules responsible for ageing, and cellular degeneration. Finally, the peach contains beta-carotene, which helps to maintain visual health.
Do peaches cause weight gain? Certainly not!
The peach is so healthy it will not interfere with weight control. Peaches have around 40 calories per pound: this makes them suitable as a healthy snack or light dessert. Indeed, the peach is good for digestion. Because of its diuretic properties, it is well tolerated even by those suffering from gastric or intestinal disorders. It is perfect as a snack for replenishing mineral salts lost during sports or because of the heat: in summer, why not enjoy the freshness of a peach granita?
In choosing only seasonal fruit, RivaReno conveys the genuineness and strength of nature: the peach granita is a fine blend of peaches, water and cane sugar. To maintain the fruit’s properties in a complete and unaltered state, the RivaReno workshop also uses the peel, the part that is richest in nutrients and antioxidants. If the summer heat is debilitating, enter a RivaReno gelato laboratorio and enjoy a restorative peach granita!